Tuesday, 4 October 2011
'A Little Promptu'
You Will Need: Wool (half a ball or less of thickish stuff) knitting needles, 6mm; sewing scissors; felt; needle and thread; wool needle (with large broad eye for sewing with wool); stuffing.
1) Cast on 4 sts, leaving a long 'tail' of non-working wool. Work 2 rows (the promptu is a stocking-stitch or smooth creature).
2) Increase at the beginning and end of row 3. Work another couple of rows. Increase at the beginning and end of the next row. Continue increasing every other row or so until you have an even snouty triangle about 12 stitches wide at the needle.
3) Increase at the beginning and end of each row until you have 16 stitches altogether.
4) Knit approx. 3 inches on these 16 stitches; this will form the promptu's body.
5) Knit halfway across the row (8 sts). Turn the work and purl these 8 sts. Turn and knit 8. Cast off the next row, and leave a long 'tail' end. Pick up the remaining 8sts on your needle and do the same on the other side. These will form the promptu's legs.
6) Using the first long 'tail' from casting on, sew the promptu's snout together and as far down the middle of his tummy as you can get. Roll his legs into little cylinders and sew down the inside edges with the tails from casting off, making a good strong seam in his groin and going up his tummy a bit if you can.
7) Cut out circles of black felt for the soles of his feet (not visible in the photo but very cute) and stitch them on with ordinary needle and thread. Cut hands, with a slanting edge for the 'wrist' out of more felt and stitch them to the sides of his body.
8) Stuff your promptu tightly and fat!
9) With a new piece of wool if necessary, sew up the gap in your promptu's tummy. Reaching his chest, make a strong stitch through his chin and pull his head down onto his chest. Fix his head here firmly with a few more stitches. Pass the needle through the back of his body to come out near his bottom, and cut off the wool to make a tufty tail.
Promptus have no eyes because I am lazy and they live underground like little moles. But you could give them eyes if you like - very small beads or buttons.